Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I guess we'll see...

I was the first one to vote in my town. I was standing out there at 5:10am - an hour before the polls open. I was there before the volunteers showed up to set up the folding tables and stuff. Sounds extreme, but in reality I'm usually at work by 5am. I got to sleep in for this.

At 6am, when the polls opened there were over 300 people behind me. It was pretty intense. People were having political discussions and debating the referendum questions and shit. Crazy.

I was discouraged from the start. I am a conservative for various reasons and live in an extremely liberal area. In effect my vote doesn't count every year. But I vote religiously every year, local or national. So I voted and my vote didn't count. Obama will be President.

You know, I don't have anything against Obama. He seems like a nice enough guy and will probably do an OK job. It'll do wonders for our international PR at the least. And really, things can't get much worse.

So good luck, Mr. Obama. I didn't vote for you but I welcome you as my new President. Congratulations.

3 comments:

Dan said...

At least you did your part and got out to vote, there are a lot of people who don't even do that much.

And your a bigger man than some, I know at least one person who is so upset that McCain didn't win every other word out of his mouth was the N-word. Needless to say he's a person I don't talk to that much by choice.

Anonymous said...

Like Dan said, it's nice to see someone with a good attitude about it. I'm surrounded by ultra conservative people on the other end of the spectrum, so I feel like I'm the outcast around here sometimes. I usually just have to keep my mouth shut. They just don't want a black man as president and that's that. That's all they need to know, and I think that's sad and frustrating. It's nice to see someone who disagrees with my politics for what I'm assuming are intellegent reasons, as opposed to just being based on race.

Fungusmungus said...

Call BS if you like, but I just don't see people in those terms. People come from different cultures and backgrounds and can become any of a full spectrum of personality types. There are heroes and assholes of every race creed and color out there and everyone's get a fair shot at becoming one of the good ones.

I certainly can appreciate the historic nature of this election as well. I grew up with parents of the Kennedy era and was exposed all my life to the MLK speeches and dreams of that generation. Well America, here we are and really - isn't it about time?

So the Dems have all the power and an opportunity to get their way for a while. Can't imagine they can do any permanent damage. And who knows? Maybe they'll do a great job and win me over.

As said above: I guess we'll see...

Site Meter