Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A Fiction: Part X

Chapter 2: Into the Ether

I

FORBIDDEN INFORMATION – NOT ALLOWED

So much for a web search for Elijah Hawthorne, I think as I prepare for sleep. Today was an interesting day and I am becoming more and more curious what the goal of this ‘research’ is. We’ve been heading due south for nearly two weeks without so much as a decrease in speed. The intensity of the labor I am required to do has made the time pass quickly. Today, as the men were gathered on the deck for the morning inspection, the ship was brought to a standstill. Roderick came down as he always does, but today had a dejected look I’ve not seen before.

“Gentlemen, our guests have requested you all spend the day below deck. A few of you may be asked to come up if extra hands are required at any point, but primarily you will stay below. I have drawn up a list of tasks for you to do both in teams and individually.” He sighed, “I hope this is not indicative of what we are to expect of the next few weeks. I can only imagine the state of the ship if we are not allowed access to maintain her over days or weeks. The filth…” He swept his eyes around the deck and ran his hand down the brass rail behind him, looking longingly at the sparkling sheen. “That is all. Have a safe day.” Roderick slowly turned and began to walk in the direction of the control room, his head slightly bowed as if defeated.

Before he reached the stairs, he was stopped by Nelson, who requested to have a word. They walked together out of earshot of the rest of the crew and had what appeared to be a rather animated discussion. At one point they stopped and looked back at the crew, who were now going over the task list and creating a plan for the day’s work. The schedule created, the men started filing below deck for the day below.

“Mr. Cole?” I heard Roderick call behind me. “Please return to the deck.” Hendricks shot me a look of concern as I turned to walk back. Roderick and Nelson stood together at the foot of the stairway waiting for me.

“Mr. Cole, Nelson tells me you have been getting on quite well on Angel’s Head.”

“I feel lucky to be aboard, sir. That is true. I hope I have met your expectations, sir.” Nelson nodded in approval of my tone.

“Mr. Cole, you have exceeded them. As reward for your efforts, Nelson has nominated you to stay on deck today and work with our guests. I hope this opportunity meets your approval?”

“Yes, sir. I appreciate the recognition. But surely there are men below with more experience who may be more deserving.”

“Your inexperience is part of why you have been chosen, Mr. Cole. You have not yet acquired any bad habits from what I can tell. Nelson will bring you to Dr. Sawyer to give you a once over. The physical requirements of the tasks ahead could be dangerous if you have any unforeseen physical weaknesses. A precaution we must take. Surely you understand.”

“Of course, sir. Thank you, sir” With that, Roderick climbed up to the control room and went inside leaving me in the care of Nelson, who directed me to the back deck and the office of Dr. Sawyer. The office was what you would expect of a ship’s doctor: an exam table, a folded X-ray machine strapped to the wall, all the tools of the trade either screwed down or held with Velcro, presumably in case of rough seas.

Dr. Sawyer was seated at a small desk in the corner, head in hands reading through papers. He spun around as we entered and said, “What is it? What do you want?” He appeared distressed in some way and I was momentarily concerned he may become violent. Nelson wasn’t phased.

“And a ‘good morning’ to you Dr. Sawyer. Our Mr. Cole here has been selected to work with our guests in their scientific endeavors,” Nelson said calmly. It appeared he knew what to expect from the good doctor and had learned how to handle him as well. Dr. Sawyer smiled and stood, extending a hand.

“Of course, of course. Do sit down,” he said as he motioned me to the exam table. “Thank you, Nelson. I will send him after you once we have completed.” Nelson bowed his head, gave me a wink and stepped out the door.

It was a surprisingly thorough exam: lifting limits, spirometry, stress tests. He even included a psychological analysis which consisted of him saying a short statement while looking into my eyes with a magnified scope presumably to watch for pupil dilation. A few I remember:

A fish jumps to the shore and is trapped in the sun

A woman is taken against her will by three men

An astronaut discovers a leak in his helmet during a space walk

A man stands outside a burning house,his family trapped inside

That sort of thing. I was distracted throughout the exam by the odor of Dr. Sawyer. I gathered that his unkempt appearance extended beyond his clothes and shaving discipline. His sessions of bathing are few and far between. He can’t have much experience in close quarters, I thought to myself. “Have you been on many voyages, doctor?”

“This is my first,” he answered shortly. Clearly not open to further discussion. “I hereby declare you fit to serve in the name of SCIENCE!” he shouted and raised his hands above his head. I caught a fleeting hint of a smile. “Now go. GO and do not come back unless you are dying.” He attempted a faux German accent. I guess this is what Dr. Sawyer considers humor. I gathered my things, put back on my black belt and coat and headed out the door.

The research team was on the front deck when I made my way forward. Hawthorne was manning a mechanical hoist that lifted the submersible out of the water and over the deck. I could feel Roderick’s eyes from the control room as the sub was lowered to two U-shaped stands, his concern for the condition of the ship. But despite a slow swaying of the sub, Hawthorne expertly lowered it gently to rest.

The sub looks like a large, blue egg with robotic arms extending from beneath and a turbine on each side. The access hatch extends from the top of the sub and there are storage boxes inlayed along the sides. I helped secure the sub to the stands and help attach the ladder to the side so the team can go in. Hawthorne barked a few orders to his team and they quickly began loading the sub with tools and equipment. Then, to my surprise, Hawthorne walked over to me.

“I hear you are joining our team, Mr. Cole,” he said. “Welcome.”

“I’m just here to help. Anything you need, sir.” He put a hand on my shoulder.

“Nonsense,” he said. “You’re coming with us. I am the only one who can pilot the sub on the ship. The rest of my team are lacking in the instincts to learn – scientists – you know. So I have asked the captain to provide me with a member of the crew to become my backup. They named you.”

I was stunned. “I’ve never been in a submersible, sir. Are you sure I’m qualified?”

“Have you ever driven a car? It’s a talent becoming rare these days. Well, have you?”

“Yes, sir. I had a car until just a few months back.”

“Then clearly you are my man,” he said with a large grin on his face.

No comments:

Site Meter