Thursday, July 2, 2009

A Fiction: Part XI

II

I was introduced to the man named Stuart as I climbed into the submersible for the first time. Hawthorne, Stuart and I were to head down below, and Hawthorne would give me a few lessons in submarine operations and protocol while Stuart performed calibrations on the equipment. I took the co-pilots seat and watched as Hawthorne walked me through the power ups.

“This switch is main power. This one: communications. Here is the CG enhancement display and this one: the turbines.” I looked through the glass wall in front of me and noticed all the solid objects on the deck of the ship were outlined with a faint blue haze. I paid close attention assuming there would be a test later on. Stuart flipped on a light over his seat and began switching on equipment in the back. “Stuart has the robotics controls and the emergency systems.”

Stuart looked up and continued where Hawthorne left off. “Here’s a rundown of the emergency systems: first, we have the solar flotation balloon. Pushing this button releases the balloon and it rises to the surface, collecting sunlight and maintaining power – or at least enough to maintain air pressure and a few other critical systems. The balloon also broadcasts a distress signal. In these cases are three fully functional S.C.U.B.A. systems. This hatch in the floor opens, and as long as the sub is within 10 degrees of upright, the internal air pressure keeps the water out. You essentially just drop in. There’s a week of dry rations here, first aid here, defibrillator…” My mind had begun to wander as I looked around the interior of the sub. I imagined being below the surface and the discoveries to be made. I looked at Hawthorne, my curiosity growing as to what his purpose was. “… SONAR display is here. Got it?”

“I think I have most of it, yes. No quizzes yet, OK?”

Stuart smiled. “The tests come later. Today, you’re just here for the ride.”

As if on cue, the sub was lifted into the air. I held the arms of my seat tightly as we swayed above the deck. We were moved out over the water and quickly lowered to the surface. Soon we were moving away from the ship and heading out to open water.

“This lever is for forward motion. This line is dead stop. This direction moves you forward, this direction, back. The wheel is for steering. Left, right, just like a car. Push the steering column forward to nose down, back to nose up. You also have these two pedals for hard side-to-side. Left goes left, right goes right. Easy enough.” He turned to Stuart. “Ready to submerge?”

“Ready,” Stuart answered.

“This dial is for the ballasts. Turn this way to release air, this way to pump them for buoyancy. Would you like to do the honors?” Hawthorne was giddy. Clearly he was enjoying showing off his toy. I carefully turned the dial and with a loud hiss, we slowly sank beneath the waves.

Of course I have seen the docu-vids of sea life and ocean exploration, but nothing prepared me for the sheer beauty I beheld. The early morning sun filtered through the ocean surface on beams of shimmering light; the schools of fishes darting here then there, then here again lit up like pinpoint bulbs. Once settled below, Hawthorne edged us forward and down to the depths below. My stomach caught in my throat as the darkness filled the glass before me; the once clear and shining sea life now highlighted with artificial blue haze on the screen. Something large skirted the edge of our view and momentarily filled the height of the left side – then it darted away, never to be identified.

“The sub can withstand a depth of 5,000 meters,” Hawthorne said as I fought nausea. “Any deeper and we crumple like a tin can. The sea floor here is only 1,500 meters, so no worries. It’ll take about an hour to get all the way down there, so sit back and relax. Once there, I’ll let you take the wheel and we can do a little ‘joy riding’.”

I leaned my head back in my seat and closed my eyes to settle my stomach. Soon I lost the thread of my thoughts and slipped into dream. I dreamed of birds floating through the sky, weightless. I had no body and land was nowhere to be seen – just birds and sky…

No comments:

Site Meter