Thursday, March 27, 2008

It was worth it

I really like my job. I like the people I work for, and the people I work with. Well, most of them. There's always one. A troublemaker. A morale killer. He is my equal in title and status. Or was, until today.

I work in manufacturing. We make shiny things. I won't go into much detail for the sake of anonymity, but that's it; shiny stickers. Over the last 8 years, I have worked my way from an entry level position, to the leader of my shift, to the leader of my department, to a leader in the corporation. The company has two product lines, rigid shiny stickers and flexible shiny stickers. I am in charge of the lucrative rigid line and have full responsibility for their production in all aspects. I set the quality levels and hold the group accountable to it, I provide training and assess individual performance.

The afore-mentioned trouble-making morale killer has my same role for the flexible product line. His area is segregated behind a wall where many secrets live. It is a secured room, not easily accessible, with multiple production machines hidden away. Over the years, he has hired friends, family members, drinking buddies, gambling associates to work for him. He plays favorites, does not hold his group accountable, barely provides training, and lies to our shared boss on a regular basis. Morale is low in his area, and it is slowly creeping out to other areas. We are missing orders, and have not ended the fiscal year in good standing. Today, all that changed.

Today I was given my annual review. An interesting process; I write a "self-assessment," my boss adds a few comments, and we discuss the future. I never sell myself short. I throw every minute detail of my accomplishments (no matter how insignificant) and make them out to be infinitely important. This year I went a step further. I added commentary about the morale killer. I voiced my disappointment in my boss for not taking him out. Man, I have some balls let me tell ya. It was worth it.

He has been given a choice (effective Monday) of taking a lower position or leaving the company. I have been given responsibility for his area as well as mine. Many of my other responsibilities have been (thankfully) taken away so I can focus on turning that area around. Oh yeah, and a promotion and a big raise.

My wife and I had a conversation last night after I broke the news. We agree that the sacrifices we have made (her staying home with the kids, my long hours at work not seeing her or the kids) has now been justified. I am somewhat concerned though. The addicted gambler who is close to losing everything is only inspired to carry on when he wins big. I am in danger of becoming a work-a-holic. There are days when I can't leave work AT WORK. There are days when I can't leave work for long hours because I must fix every problem before I go. There are days I forget why I'm doing it. For them. For us.

It's been a tough couple of years, but today... it was worth it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Man, you make shiny things?! I just LOVE shiny things!!!

Congratulations on the raise and promotion, and well done on taking the problem to task rather than just sitting by. It was a gamble, but I'm sure it'll pay off not just for you, but for your colleagues too.

I hope you can find the right level of balance for work and life, I know it can be hard with long hours and commutes. Just remember that closing time is family time, and family doesn't interupt work time, work time interupts family.

Fungusmungus said...

I totally make really cool shiny things!! To be slightly more specific, our process puts MILLIONS of microscopic prisms onto film and cuts it into stickers for safety. Ya know the stuff on the side of emergency vehicles and highway signs and such that reflects light back at you much brighter than the light that's shining on it? That's the stuff. Very cool and big bucks.

I'm not one to let things slide. My boss needed to be called out and in the end, it appears he respects me more for it.

The wife is pretty understanding. The fiscal year ended today, all the orders are out and we'll probably be slow for a week or two as the dust settles and the money is counted. Good time for a transition at work and a good time to focus on family.

Thanks for the understanding advice sir. Despite the bizarre and sometimes troubling surface, you are a source of wisdom and (surprisingly) grounded common sense.

Site Meter